* Link : http://www.koreaherald.co.kr/NEWKHSITE/data/html_dir/2010/02/24/201002240048.aspAs Korean universities strive to become world-class universities, the number of courses instructed in English has dramatically increased as of late. Some universities require that even the departments of Korean literature and Korean history offer courses taught in English. Some professors are in favor of these "globalizing" changes, while others are doubtful.Amid the controversy, Pohang University of Science and Technology or POSTECH recently announced that it will transform into an English-only zone withi..
* Link : http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2010/02/117_61241.htmlPohang University of Science and Technology (POSTECH) in Pohang City, North Gyeongsang Province, has unveiled a 150 billion won project to push itself to join the ranks of the world's top 50 universities.Its plan centers around hiring 10 Nobel Prize or Fields Medal winners in science and math, and setting up a world-class education environment by spending a total of 150 billion won over the next three years. It is the second initiative to be announced by President Baik Sung-gi in recent days. However, the school's plan ..
* Link : http://www.nanoscienceworks.org/articles/korea2019s-postech-explores-nanotechnology-frontiersKorea’s POSTECH Explores Nanotechnology FrontiersJust over two years after the establishment of one of Korea's most noted nanotechnology education and research center, the National Center for Nanomaterials and Technology (NCNT) at POSTECH or Pohang University of Science and Technology, NanoScienceWorks.org is pleased to feature an interview with Prof Yoon-Ha Jeong, visionary founder of NCNT and VP of Research at POSTECH. ***************************************************Korea’s PO..
* Link : http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/biz/2009/11/123_56084.htmlCarbon nanotubes, known for their remarkable properties that can be used for advanced electronics and materials, appear to have the potential to be used for combating cancer as well, local scientists said Tuesday.A research team led by Kosin University's Lee Sang-ho and Pohang University of Science and Technology's (POSTECH) Choi Hee-cheul claimed to have discovered a method to allow carbon nanotubes to be used as agents for photo-thermal therapy in a study published by peer-reviewed journal, American Chemical Society (ACS..
* Link : http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2009/10/117_52814.htmlPohang University of Science and Technology (POSTECH) has the lowest dropout rate among 188 universities. According to the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology, Thursday, POSTECH had 17 students give up their studies at the university last year, out of a total of 1,711 ― 1 percent of the total student body. The average dropout rate among institutes of higher education, including 2-year and 3-year colleges, stood at 5 percent. Among those who left their original schools, 44 percent voluntarily withdrew, 33 per..
A multi-platform supporting mobile applications software development environment technology has been developed. More than 30% of current development effort is expected to be saved through the new environment. Professor Kyo-Chul Kang (Department of Computer Science and Engineering) and his research team have joined efforts with Electronics and Telecommunications Research Institute (ETRI) in the Mobile Platform based Application Development (MoPAD) project which launched in March 2007 with the support of Institute for Information Technology Advancement. The first report of the research outcomes ..
The way to prevent intra-operative awareness has been paved by joint efforts of medical science and physics. Intra-operative awareness, familiarized through some thriller movies, is a unique physiological phenomenon which causes the patient under general anesthesia to recover consciousness during surgery. The patient experiencing intra-operative awareness may feel the pain or pressure of surgery, hear conversations, or feel as if he cannot breathe, but may be unable to communicate any distress because he has been given a paralytic or muscle relaxant.Professor Seunghwan Kim (Department of Physi..
Direct printing of functional electronic materials may provide a promising route to low-cost fabrication of integrated circuits. From this point of view, ink-jet printing has received special attention as a direct patterning technique for the cost-effective fabrication of organic electronic devices such as organic thin-film transistors (OTFTs) (Figure 1) and organic photovoltaic cells. Professor Kilwon Cho and Ms. Jung Ah Lim of the Department of Chemical Engineering have succeeded in fabricating high-performance OTFTs by inkjet printing of organic semiconductor. This result entitled “Se..
Revolutionary plastic memory devices developedRecent increases in demand for mobile devices have stimulated the development of nonvolatile memory devices with high performance. These nonvolatile memory devices are unpowered computer memory devices such as USB flash drives. However, with recent developments will soon see foldable electronic newspapers, books, magazines, and even wearable computers. Professor Moonhor Ree (Department of Chemistry) and Professor Ohyun Kim (Department of Electronic and Electrical Engineering) research team, in their paper entitled, “Novel Digital Nonvolatile ..