Solar cells are converters that make electricity out of light energy by the photovoltaic effect. Made with organic semiconductors, organic solar cells are light and flexible, can produce electricity with a small amount of sunlight, and can be manufactured at a low cost. As a result, they are suitable for products that need self-generated electricity such as solar windows or certain military products rather than for solar power plants. In Angewandte Chemie, a renowned journal for the field of chemistry, a POSTECH master’s student published a paper on a new manufacturing technology for org..
Atransparent and flexible organic transistor was recently developed by a POSTECH-SKKU joint research team. Professors Kilwon Cho and Kwang Soo Kim teamed up with Professor Byung Hee Hong at Sungkyunkwan University and worked on graphene, the ‘dream material,’ stepping into the market of next generation displays such as transparent monitors, windows, and flexible displays that can function like GPS navigation systems on automobiles and wearable electronic devices. The research team used graphene as electrodes for Organic Thin-Film Transistors (OTFTs) and successfully produced a flex..
* Link : http://www.koreaherald.com/national/Detail.jsp?newsMLId=20111030000213300 students including Chinese and Japanese expected to join program every yearMajor universities in South Korea, China and Japan will launch a joint degree program next year as part of efforts to expand academic exchanges, the Education Ministry said Sunday.The Education Ministry and the Korean Council for University Education announced 10 South Korean colleges and universities chosen to partner with Chinese and Japanese universities under the Campus Asia program.The program is an Asian version of the Erasmus Mundu..
* Link : http://www.koreaherald.com/national/Detail.jsp?newsMLId=20110925000272A new era in the relationship with Brazil began when agencies in Korea and Brazil committed their resources to a “partnership without borders.”Brazil and Korea’s first Joint Science and Technology Committee Meeting set up the fundamentals for synergistic collaboration.For Brazil Ambassador Edmundo Fujita, the joint committee meeting paved the groundwork for a new phase in the relationship, where the knowledge and innovation potential of both nations can be integrated.“Brazil and Korea are enj..
* Link : http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2011/09/117_95313.htmlAn international team of scientists led by a Korean professor said Friday that a rise in air-borne contaminants causes pollution levels in the ocean to go up, which eventually will affect marine life.According to Lee Ki-taek, a professor of environmental science and engineering from the Pohang University of Science and Technology (POSTECH), the level of nitrate in South Korean waters has soared as much as eight-fold in less than two decades.The nitrate level in waters off the country's southern island of Jeju jumped fro..
* Link : http://www.koreaherald.com/lifestyle/Detail.jsp?newsMLId=20110908000884From as early as 2014, anti-cancer stem cell treatment will be available through a joint firm established by Pohang University of Technology and Science and Catholic University of Korea, the schools said Monday.According to the joint venture “PoCaStem,” the treatment “GX-051” involved injecting adenovirus that prompts the anti-carcinogenic treatment gene, IL-12M, into a stem cell. The substance is reported to induce immune reactions to tumors and has been proved effective on metastatic cance..
* Link : http://www.koreaherald.com/lifestyle/Detail.jsp?newsMLId=20110830000635Kim Yong-min, president-to-be of POSTECH (Pohang University of Science and Technology), has been honored with the 2011 William J. Morlock Award given by the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, the university said Tuesday.Established in 1960 by the family of William J. Morlock, the award is given semi-annually to people who have made innovative applications of electronic techniques and concepts to solve biomedical problems.Kim was recognized with his ..
As it is better to wear clothes that fit you well rather than to try on many possible sizes, it is also most prudent to take pills that cure your ailments precisely without triggering unwanted side-effects. A POSTECH joint research team has contributed to the forthcoming era of customized medicines by developing a very precise way to detect the genetic variations among individuals. The team has made it possible to prescribe appropriate therapeutic administrations for each individual. This new technology can assign the most appropriate pills for a cold, anticipate the effects of new anti-cancer..
It is interesting that a scientific explanation can be given about the differences between a successful and unsuccessful sports player in major professional games such as the USA Major League Baseball or NBA, or the UK Premier League. POSTECH Professor Woo-Sung Jung and Professor H. Eugene Stanleya at Boston University, USA, formed a joint research team to study the above. Titled ‘Quantitative and Empirical Demonstration of the Matthew Effect in a Study of Career Longevity,’ their paper illustrated how the Matthew effect works on professional sports in Korea, the UK and the USA, an..